|Object Name||Clipping, Magazine|
|Title||833-4 Idle "Whisker Jumbo" and Special Lining Equipment Designed for West Canal Costing in Excess of $300,000. West Canal 9-24-47. / Specs. 1286. Winston Bros. and Utah Construction Company, Contractors.|
|Scope & Content||
Black and white image with white boarder and caption on glossy paper which appears to be from magazine or publication. Caption reads: "833-4 Idle 'Whisker Jumbo' and Special Lining Equipment Designed for West Canal Costing in Excess of $300,000. West Canal 9-24-47. / Specs. 1286. Winston Bros. and Utah Construction Company, Contractors."
Part of the Columbia Basin Project, the West Canal has an initial capacity of 5,100 cubic feet per second and a length of 82.2 miles. It is one of two canals formed by the bifurcation of the Main Canal. The West Canal skirts the northwest periphery of the project and en route is carried across the lower Grand Coulee through the world's largest inverted siphon at the north end of Soap Lake. The canal continues around the upper margin of Quincy Basin to the northern base of Frenchman Hills, which it penetrates by a 9,000-foot tunnel, ending in an easterly branch across the Royal Slope. The capacity of the canal is reduced progressively as water is diverted into lateral distribution systems built to serve the entire northwestern portion of the project.
As with the Main Canal, the West Canal was constructed under several major contracts. One contract, for earthwork, lining and structures (1st section), was let to a joint venture of Utah Construction Company and Winston Brothers Company in June 1946.The Utah Construction Company was organized in Ogden, Utah, in 1900. The Articles of Incorporation list Thomas D. Dee as president and a principal stockholder, along with David Eccles, Edmund Orson Wattis, Warren L. Wattis, William H. Wattis, and Marie D. Wattis. The company's early railroad building in the West soon expanded into building dams.
|Dates of Creation||09/24/1947|
|Collection||Brenda Goodrich Collection|
|Credit line||In memory of Kenneth A. Goodrich|
Grand Coulee Dam